Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to GHS! Go ahead and register, you'll enjoy an AD FREE environment!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Books a plenty

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Books a plenty - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 am

The most expensive Book I have ever bought was art work books of Star Trek and Star Wars for Al. They were about $35 but then it was 20 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 12:16 pm

i bought a 35 dollar book, it was worth it though, it was the complete annotated version of all the brothers grim stories. its HUUUUUGE Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:58 am

Good books are always worth the costs unless you do not have the wherewithall to but them when they come out. Then it is go to library if you can or wait for the paperback. PQB also sells hardback books for under $20 by that I mean $14, $15, or anywhere under $20.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:27 am

i just got this great book called the black company ^^ woot for fantasy lol. to me, the longer the book the better, cause if its only 2 or 3 hundred pages im going to finish it in a day Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:44 pm

I finished a book last night. It is about Dewey Readmore Books the library cat of Spenser, Iowa. This cat ruled the library for 19 years. People as far away as Japan came to film him for documentaries
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 11:00 pm

i just finished a pre-published copy of a book about curse workers ^^ lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 am

I have finished reading two books and am in chapter 7 of the third one. They are all by Jeffery Deaver and of course they are all mysteries.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 5:24 am

*shudders* mysteries >.< i read one called sparkling cyanide. it was by agatha christie. needless to say i never read another one lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 pm

To each his own!
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 pm

it was the butler! with the candle stick...in the parlor Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:03 am

lol. I don't read much, but i must note two GREAT Sci-Fi novels. I truthfully loved them both and they are two of the only 5 books i have ever read.

1. Farnham's Freehold- E.E. Doc Smith (i think, not sure on the author)

2. Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:07 am

*sigh* you need to expand your horizons
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 8:57 am

I have to agree with Alucard, Swit. You really need to expand your horizions when it comes to reading.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 5:56 pm

i don't know if he is capable lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 12:32 am

Now that I have my library, office, computer room back because my daughter and her boyfriend are no longer living here at my request, I will have to take some pictures of my book shelves and send them in for you to see. I am reading a book by Jonathan kellerman titled Compulsion. It is a very good mystery story. I am going to see if I can find all of the Dragonriders of Pern which Al has and see if I can get into reading them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 1:47 am

Did you know that the Hobbit movie is in production?
Peter Jackson is going to be a producer this go round, but I expect it will be just as good.

It should come out next year or 2012 (lol, that's a "catch 22" right there)

Anyhoo...

I wouldn't call LOTR a fantasy book. Most people call it a Sci-Fi book (my library calls it that) and some people are wise enough to call it a retelling of Tolkien's experience in World War 1, because most of his stories are accounts of the cold, wet hell he went through.
for example...
The Dead Marshes were the trenches full of dead soldiers, urine, feces, blood, etc.
At the end when the Shire is industrialized it shows his fear of returning home and seeing a whole new country, unlike the green fields he used to know, which actually did happen a little.

Anyway, if you like LOTR, you should definitely read his other books, The Children of Húrin and The Silmarilion.
Both books were not fully written by J.R.R. Tolkien, but they were put together from scraps of stories he had written out but never finished.
Besides that, they are both good books and the Silmarilion is great if you want to learn more about the world(s) LOTR is set in.
Heck, I even got a few good names from them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:10 am

I bought all the books you mentioned for my husband Al. He was into SiFi big time. I don't know if I will ever read all his books, but I will keep them all. Altogether we probably own about 2000 books and I keep buying more. I am so thankful that I can see well enough to read again! I had cataract surgery in both my eyes last November and I have been reading everything I can get my hands on ever since the December when my doctor pronounced my eyes okay to read.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 4:36 am

hmph LOTR is completely a fantasy novel lol fantasy is a subsection of sci fi ^^ and since fantasy and sci fi is pretty much all i read i should know
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 7:03 am

>.> LOTR = Demons, Elves, Dwarfs.. magic... Thats Fantasy....

Scifi the main genre as some call it, though once they get to college and learn is actually a secondary genre made after fantasy and in such a sub genre of fantasy, Is anything else out there. Space, Aliens, alternate dimensions, technology ect...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Fine, if you like sci-fi so much, go out and buy Adventures in Time and Space.

It's a collection of different science fiction stories,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 6:06 am

I have a 26 volume set call The Unexplained--Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time which I haven't read, but now I might.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 3:11 pm

There's this guy named Daniel H. Wilson who writes a wide range of sci-fi/non-fiction books
He has a Ph.D. in robotics and got a B.S. in computer sciences.
Wilson has some books about robotics and some oddballs like The Mad Scientist Hall of Fame
He also has a book out about future technologies that never came about called Where's My Jetpack?
My favorite book is How to Build a Robot Army
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 17, 2010 11:00 pm

for me, Simon R. Green will always be the best scifi author with his deathstalker series Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 1:36 am

Tom Clancy's H•A•W•X.

READ THIS S***!

It's a VERY VERY mature book, but I just got done reading it and it's
AWESOME!!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Tom-Clancys-Hawx/Tom-Clancy/e/9780425233191
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 5:54 am

I will have to research this in my book club. I also read Dale Brown. I have read a lot of Tom Clancy's books. I am always on the lookout for a good book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books a plenty
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Community :: Book Corner-
Jump to: