Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to GHS! Go ahead and register, you'll enjoy an AD FREE environment!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Books a plenty

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

Books a plenty - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 6:14 pm

HAWX is one of his newer games, hence the book is rather new as well
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 12:29 am

started and finished plenty of series since last time, game of thrones one of the best fantasy series of all time (real series name is song of ice and fire) and the hbo show that is the adaption of it started last week, posted a trailer in tv section Smile enjoy. also, finished the black company that are out so far, very very very good and gritty, finished the wolf blade trilogy by jennifer fallon, leviathan by scott westerfield, read the hobbit for the first time and loved it, newest book in teh nightside series, i started to reread terry brooks shannara series, read the newest green rider book, reread all of the dresden files, finished the newest book by R.A. Salvatore writer for forgotten realms (trying to read all of them), waiting for quite a few books including the next eragon book, the next song of ice and fire, and the next dresden novel. crap thats all i can remember though i know i've read a lot more Sad oh well more next time ^^
Back to top Go down
KnightoftheWord
Regular poster
Regular poster

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 11:57 pm

My favorite series, other than LOTR, is definitely the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Hands down one of the best writers out there. I like his ability to combine real world ideas with fantasy world ideas. I thought his use of fantasy characters such as elves, trolls, dwarves, etc. was unique and refreshing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 12:26 am

Currently rereading the "Honor Harrington" series for the 5th or sixth time. I love battles in space, things blowing up etc. My library is fairly extensive. About 6000 books, 60% Sci-Fi. The rest is suspence novels, Tom Clancy, WEB Griffin etc. Plus a number of military history books.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Post Maniac
Post Maniac
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 4:52 am

i don't remember if I mentioned this series, but I finally finished the Sword of truth series by terry goodkind which is one of the best fantasy series I have ever read it does such a great job of bringing in real world moral issues into the realm of fantasy(just don't watch the tv show they ruin the story) , I read the Instrumentalities of night by Glen Cook who wrote the black company (another great series) he has a really original style for fantasy where its much less about the magic and much more about the people and the world its in, i think you could take magic completely out of it and i would love his series just as much. Reread the night angel trilogy by brent weeks for the fifth time(no other fantasy series about assassin's has ever been that cool). I just bought the whole wheel of time series by Robert Jordan, and I have to say it beats lord of the rings in its size and scale of epic story telling, I can't wait for universal to make the movies for it since they bought the rights to make it. I also read the newest book in the Secret histories by simon R Green which is basically a james bond movie with awesome magic instead of gadgets (the names are parodied too, the man with the golden torc, the spy who haunted me, from hell with love), thats all i can think of for now ^^ read on people!
Back to top Go down
KnightoftheWord
Regular poster
Regular poster

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 4:55 am

anybody heard of Piers Anthony and the land of Xanth series?
Back to top Go down
KnightoftheWord
Regular poster
Regular poster

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 4:57 am

Terry Brooks has another series called the Word and the Void. Takes place in modern day but shows the battle between good and evil in a great way. He also eventually ties this series into his Shannara series. Very cool books.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 6:18 am

My next reread will the MYTH-Adventure series by Robert Aspin. Definitely funny stuff. study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Giving "The Trial and Death of Socrates" another go round.
Back to top Go down
KnightoftheWord
Regular poster
Regular poster

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 3:20 am

What is death and Socrates about? fiction/nonfiction? Biography?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:27 am

I am reading this months Playboy! Excellent articles!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:02 pm

KnightoftheWord wrote:

I am reading Plato's version of the biography as translated by Benjamin Jowett. Specificly, Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo. He was tried for irreligion and corrupting the youth of Athens by his belief that it was possible for man to achieve knowledge and as man was obligated to do so.
Back to top Go down
KnightoftheWord
Regular poster
Regular poster

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 2:47 am

William Penn wrote:
KnightoftheWord wrote:

I am reading Plato's version of the biography as translated by Benjamin Jowett. Specificly, Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo. He was tried for irreligion and corrupting the youth of Athens by his belief that it was possible for man to achieve knowledge and as man was obligated to do so.

Sounds interesting, sort of. I get bogged down in that type of book. I recently read Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Spy and it was good for about half of it then just wore me down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 am

Plato and Socrates spent too much time talking about death. I'll wait till I can study it firsthand
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 7:25 pm

DaveMunter wrote:
Plato and Socrates spent too much time talking about death. I'll wait till I can study it firsthand

I like Plato for the same reason I like other good writers, a reread usually lets you pick up on something you didn't before. For example a couple of nights ago I read of a clever way to say someone is acting, speaking or thinking illogically: "You would concede the existance of a mule while denying the existance of horse and ass." a mule, of course, being a horse's ass. Laughing Humor from a couple of thousand years ago, have to love it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 1:26 am

Since I can't edit my own posts for some reason:

I should have said in my last post I was pointing out something funny I picked up on a reread, not applying what I thought was funny to anyone in the group, certianly not Dave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 1:46 am

William Penn wrote:

I should have said in my last post I was pointing out something funny I picked up on a reread, not applying what I thought was funny to anyone in the group, certianly not Dave.

No offense taken. Taken in the manor meant. But I have occasional been told I was as stubborn as a mule. I prefer to think of it as tenacious! It's those who disagree with me who are stubborn.

As for older authors, my preference is "The Art of War" by Sun Tzo. It has many thoughts which apply not only to war, but also to successfully interacting with the world in general. There are several copies of it online with modern authors adding their own amplifications of Sun Tzo's simple statements. Well worth reading, especially for you younger people.

Another really interesting book that was originally a school textbook for me, is Bullfinches "Mythology". It is a fascinating reading. The only textbook I ever sat down and read from beginning to end in a single sitting. Particularity for gamers who deal with "God's" in the various games we play, the background and understanding of those "God's" meaning is useful and adds flavor to the world.

study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 am

DaveMunter wrote:
William Penn wrote:

No offense taken. Taken in the manor meant. But I have occasional been told I was as stubborn as a mule. I prefer to think of it as tenacious! It's those who disagree with me who are stubborn.

As for older authors, my preference is "The Art of War" by Sun Tzo. It has many thoughts which apply not only to war, but also to successfully interacting with the world in general. There are several copies of it online with modern authors adding their own amplifications of Sun Tzo's simple statements. Well worth reading, especially for you younger people.

Another really interesting book that was originally a school textbook for me, is Bullfinches "Mythology". It is a fascinating reading. The only textbook I ever sat down and read from beginning to end in a single sitting. Particularity for gamers who deal with "God's" in the various games we play, the background and understanding of those "God's" meaning is useful and adds flavor to the world.

study

Oddly enough, part of the arguement from the plantiff in Socrates charge of irreligion was that he invented gods while denying the existance of gods, an absurdity. His rebuttal included what I quoted as applied to men, nymphs, gods and especially the plantiff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Now starting on Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand again. Everytime I read this book I wonder how close the USA is to having a government like what she describes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:19 am

Still prefer Playboy. Will be interesting to see how "Tasteful" the Lohan issue is. clown
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:57 am

For any of you looking for a good library cataloging program, I use http://www.collectorz.com/book/features.php

Reasonable price and very flexible. They also have collector programs for music, videos, comic books etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 2:02 pm

I'm not too big of a reader except when it comes to whats going in college football and with my USC Trojans. But when I have been deployed I did find out that I have a thing for historical fiction books such as the Genghis Khan series by Conn Iggulden. I also enjoyed the Troy series by David Gemmell. If anyone has any other books that are related to these please let me know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Various war histories by Shaara are written in the first person. Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure are factual accounts but have fictional elements inserted to give context to events and famous Civil War quotes. He covers the First and Second World Wars in similar fashion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 am

All the world's governments collapsed again, thought the communists might pull it out this time Laughing Think I am going to start on some Rabelais.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books a plenty   Books a plenty - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books a plenty
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Community :: Book Corner-
Jump to: